Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My brake light and battery light came on and stayed on

My brake light and...

My brake light and battery light came on and stayed on today. Will I be able to make it to my mechanic to get my alternator tested?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I haven't checked the brake fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 Maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic who helps when it's too involved for me. I haven't tried anything yet I was heading out to lunch when I noticed the lights stayed on after starting the car so I didn't drive it anywhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that covers everything

9/28/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Roughly how far of a drive do you have to the mechanic?

15 miles or so

Ok. Thanks. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
Ok- If the dash lights just recently came on, then there's a very good chance the vehicle can make it another 15 miles. Keep in mind, if the alternator is not re-charging the battery correctly, the battery will be quickly drained. All systems will be working straight from battery. So every time you step on the brake pedal will draw power. The on-board computer is drawing constant power. So turn off all accessories like radio, A/C, etc. If the battery is good and strong, you should make the 15 miles without a problem. I wouldn't recommend too much more than that though! Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -