Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Drove my 2002 Pathfinder LE 4x4 on the beach - deep soft…

Customer Question
Hi Drove my 2002...

Hi Drove my 2002 Pathfinder LE 4x4 on the beach - deep soft sand. engine service light came on but I got home OK. Oil OK; coolant OK. Trying to start the engine today got some very slow crank but it sounds like shorting going on. Checked the battery terminals, which are OK. I stopped because I didn't want to drain the engine or cause damage. Any ideas why the engine won't crank strongly? Thanks ... Brian

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Noleak, no smell

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'd like to fix it myself. Nothing tried yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/28/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you scanned it to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting when the check engine light came on?

Have you had the battery tested to be sure its holding 12 volts and can pass the load test?

It started fine yesterday so I've no doubts about the battery. I don't have the means here to test the codes - but I realize that would help.
I'm not in a position to work on it now.

The check engine light and the slow cranking may be related but to help you and have a place to start we really need the codes, most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will run a code scan for you as well as check the charging system at no charge. If you can get this done when you can and post back with them I will help you get this resolved. We can do it when your able. Im here everyday.

Thanks Ron. I'll get back to you when I have that information.

Sure thing. Post back on this post and we can work from there. Thank you as well.