Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car won't start I tried jumping it, but that didn't do…

Customer Question
My car won't start...

My car won't start I tried jumping it, but that didn't do anything. It will turn on, but the ignition will not engage. The security light keeps flashing. It is a 90s model Nissan Maxima.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

The light keeps flashing. If I put the key in it stops, but starts flashing again when I try to start it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Maxima?

I'm not sure. I have to look for my documentation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

It has not done this before. I've been driving it for 6 months. So far I have tried jump starting to see if it was the battery, but it's not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I found the year model it's a 1992 Nissan Maxima.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/26/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 10 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is a 1992 Maxima correct? Does the head lights turn on? When you turn the key to the ON position does all the dash warning lights come on?

1992 Maxima. Correct. The head lights turn on. All the dash warning lights turn on when the key is turned.
I found an answer on Google.

So when you try to start the car, what is it doing.. Oh.. So you no longer need help with this?

Correct. Car started. Pushing the gear shift forward while turning the key worked

Cool.. So that is a indication that a adjustment is needed at the Park / Neutral switch on the transmission.

Do you need directions on how to do that?

Is that something I can do myself?

Yes.. If you are fairly handy..

I don't know anything about cars, and I'm late for a class right now, so I can't do anything right now.

No problem.. If this issue continues to happen, you just need to adjust the Park / Neutral switch on the transmission for this issue.