Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've been having an intermittant problem with 2012 Nissan…

Customer Question
Hello, I've been...

Hello, I've been having an intermittant problem with 2012 Nissan altima(just under 120k miles) which has gotten bad enough to make it undriveable.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Nissan?

You would have to ask me that! lol, I'm guessing 2.5 s or sl 4 door sedan, can text my husband if you need more info...sorry.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes & no. My husband can do some repairs, but coudn't figure this out. Started out with abs, traction control & brake light coming on during hard aceleration, now it happens all the time during regular acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Yes, that was first thing my husband checked. First diagnosis was need transmission, we got a transmission & next day, back to doing same thing. Latest we got a power distribution module & vehicle speed sensor. They said they test drove the car extensively, Drove home fine. Next morning, same problem as soon as I started driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seems to manifest itself in the morning, we also got a new battery, when I try to "drive through" the problem ie continue accelerating, the key light & I for get the name of it...exclamation point between 2 brackets warning lights come on

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/25/2017
Nissan Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 months ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

was it a new transmission or a used junkyard unit? did a nissan dealer do the repair?

A nissan dealer did the repair, but I believe they used a "rebuilt" transmission. Nissan covered 90% of cost & we paid 10%.

sounds like they installed a defective unit i would demand they make it correct...these cvt trans are a known issue with nissans...and them putting in a used one that likley has the same problem

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy