Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My local mechanic said my valves could have locked up is…

Customer Question
my local mechanic said my...
my local mechanic said my valves could have locked up is that even thing?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

ok thank you

Valves can do many things, coked up from carbon, sticky off seats, burned seats, stuck in guides, broken valve heads, bent from incorrect valve timing or broken chain/belt.

You have said his words "locked up".

Valves don't lock up solid by themselves.

Can you ask him to be more specific in his statement?

If you have had a broken timing belt, you will have many bent valves and the cylinder head needs to be removed for repair.

Gary

well let me explain the situation first, the car was a little higher idle so I went to adjust it after cranking it over a few times and letting it idle it wouldn't start anymore and had a sound similar to when a starter goes bad, I then replaced the starter and still so the mechanic came and said it needed a timing belt , well we replaced it cause it was missing some teeth , and still the same sound. so I am lost on where to go from here and whats the cheapest and best option the car is older and has roughly 265k
cause he instantly said it'd be cheaper to get a new motor

Yes, that's what I would have said.

At 265k, it needs more than a topend job, needs a full rebuild.

Another 2nd hand motor would be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary