Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Cannot use Fob to unlock car. Car steering wheel is locked.

Cannot use Fob to unlock car. Car steering wheel is locked. Cannot push button to start
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: It's an electric key so I inserted and giggled stirring. Not sure what I'm doing so apply pressure in one direction?
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Nissan Maxima 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried myself. Inserting Key and moving steering side to side aggressively. No lights will come on so am wondering also could it be a battery issue stopping me from unlocking steering wheel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was a red blinking light and it now is nolonger blinking but I have not successfully unlocked steering wheel

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The blinking red light is out or is solid now?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
When I removed fob from inserted position light went back to blinking. For a moment it had stopped lighting up completely but it is in fact blinking now

That's ok, it's how it should be.

I think from the sounds of things here you have a dead car battery. I would start with a jump start. Let the donor car stay on it for about 15 minutes before you try to start it. It is possible it's locking the key in place, the key release solenoid doesn't have power so it won't let the key out.

I would start with a jump. If it starts, head to a parts store to have the battery tested. Most will do this at no charge for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay. Thank you so much for your time and knowledge! I will start with recommendation to jump car and try to see if that releases steering and will come back to follow up if anything else happens or it does not solve it. Again thank you so much!

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!