AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I also have a Nissan Sentra that has repeat alternator

I also have a Nissan Sentra that has repeat alternator problems. I've put 4 alternators in the car in the last 2 years. The last one lasted about 30 minutes. Were there any suggestions for what to check?1993 Nissan Sentra, 267K miles
JA: What year is your Sentra?
Customer: 993 Nissan Sentra
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's in the auto shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

When a new alternator is installed, does it charge for a bit and then stop working?

If so, how long does it charge for?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
about 35min

Thank you for that information.

Have you had the battery load tested?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
no

I would certainly do that first as a faulty battery can prevent the alternator from charging.

Also, have you checked the inputs to the back of the alternator when this no charge condition occurs?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The alternator check bad and I have had them replaced 4 times by PepBoys

Ok, then if they all check out bad, that means you're getting low-quality alternators. It is as simple as that.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
will a battery cause a alternator to go bad or time

YES, it is possible. That is why you should get it load tested.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I taking my car to a Buick dealership today after having Pep Boys put for Alternators on and they put another Alternator and it went bad also so I will have a battery test next thank you. I have spent about $1,200 on this problem. thank you again I appreciate it you have a good one okay

You are most welcome sir.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!