Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Nissan Quest won't start/ stay running after changing…

Customer Question
2004 Nissan Quest won't start/...
2004 Nissan Quest won't start/ stay running after changing thermostat housing.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/22/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

You just replaced the thermostat housing? You didn't replace the water pump as well did you?

No, did end up replacing battery after as when the wouldn't start battery was low. Was thinking voltage issue. Upon looking online I read about lockout mode tried that reset which allowed van to start but would only run for about 15 seconds. I have since cleaned all grounds changed negative cable which was bad down at tranny mount point. Got loads of codes don't know which ones are real at this point.
Lockout mode is only relevant if you use the wrong key or the key loses its registration . When that happens the security light will remain on solid while cranking .
What happens when the ground cable at the transmission breaks, it causes a CAN Communication issue which will cause lots of codes and sometimes it will burn up the coil packs. You will have to clear all those codes now that the ground is fixed and see if any of them return.
Ok strange thing happened I cleared the codes, started it ran for the usual like 15seconds. Tried to scan for codes and I'm getting no communication. Which light is considered the security light for the quest
Red car symbol with key in it.No communication to a control unit may be just a fuse.
Which fuse should I check?
I think I checked them all nothing blown
the service engine light is ON though correct?Do you have a volt meter?
No not at this point because I cleared all the codes before losing communication at the obd port. I can get a voltage meter not real sure how to use it though.
Well we were going to use the meter to test power to the ECM.
Your positive you didn't pinch any wires or anything when working on the thermostat housing?
I didn't change it, guy changed it for me. Van started ran and drove before that. He went checking stuff but couldn't figure out why. I thought eco but had communication with scanner prior to last night.
I moved passed that thought
Could it be the ipdm being he had to take that out to change the other part?
The IPDM powers the ECM through the relay inside it.
I would double check the connection is tight obviously.
I checked all connections, didnt find any lose but it did notice now the red car is staying on. Still no obd ll communication though or a check engine light.

If you turn the key to ON position does the condenser fan at the radiator run?

No not that I can see or hear, fan was not on or moving
Have to check my battery but it seems my remote is not working either. But have to confirm that battery didn't die.
Ok
Ok got new remote battery and changed it remote still doesn't work
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 10 months ago

IS THE SECURITY LIGHT STILL REMAINING ON?

Then you must have a key registration issue or ECM issue. Without communication to the ECm though you cannot register the key. So you need to to trace power and ground to ECM and see if the ECM is not getting power or just bad.

Do you have any images showing where the ecm grounds are located also the main power source for it?
There are a lot of grounds that can effect CAN communication. I mainly need you to verify the ground to the body off the battery is good and that you have power to the ECM.
I have previously went over everything that went with the battery so yes that's good. How do I test for power at the ecm?
Do you have a volt meter?
No, nut if it's the easiest way to test I can get one
But if
you need a voltmeter to really go any further here.
Ok how do I do it with voltage meter
Once you get the meter (preferably auto ranging) since you unfamiliar with how to use it, we will test with key ON for power entering the ECM.We can also test at the DLC
Ok getting it now how do I test it
I'm ready when you are
Great, the ECM has two plugs. On the small plug is 2 large red wires with green stripe. BOTH of them should have battery voltage with key to ON position.
Also, on the DLC for your scanner. When key is ON. Terminal 8 (bottom left terminal) should have battery voltage.
Sorry if this is a dum question but what is DLC?
Data link connector. The OBD II port sorry.
Ok on the ecm, am I unplugging it to test. Or testing it plugged in. The obd as over 11 volts. I also tested the ecm fuse there it wasn't really ready anything.
Ok I test with it plugged in and both had voltage over 11
Well voltage at the ECM and the OBD II port with no communication is concerning then, it indicates the ECM is likely BAD. Especially since you have a security light which tells us the ECM cannot confirm the key registration with the BCM.
Anyway to test ecm?
You verified it has power, you can't communicate with it by your scanner but get DLC has power As well.You could look for the 5v reference to the MAF, TB, CAM sensors, etc.
But regardless your tests already showed that the scanner should be communicating but it's nkt
Ok so based off what you last said, I well maybe I should try to scan again because I did have communication before. So I did and it commicated and gave me a bunch of codes. I then scanned for bcm and ipdm codes both were unable to commicate. I followed that by starting the van it ran for the 15 sec shut off, I scanned again this time no communication. Point of me explaining all this is because I can send ecm out for repair but the place will charge me even if it good, so I want to be sure its bad and not one of the other units like bcm or ipdm.
If the IPDM was bad you wouldn't have ECM power from the ECM relay in the IPDM. BCM failures usually cause window and lock issues as well. Granted you have NO condensor fans ON and you cannot perform CAN communication testing because you can't connect to the ECM.
Ok is there a trick or something special I have to do to get the ecm plugs out, I have unlocked them and tried to pull but seems as if I missed something
Sent ECM out for repair, tested good. So I'm back at square one.
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago

Have you tried reconnecting the scanner at all?

cleared codes, tried to start nothing, scanned again all codes returned.
P1212, P1610, P1800, U1001, U1000, P0462, P1612 in that order.

Wow, that's an interesting code set! Just all over the place.

2 Nats errors

a TCS communication error

CAN errors

and a VIAS error

this van has been driving me nuts, I did some more testing today. In pervious times I have tried to scan the bum and ipdm but would get no communication. Today I tried and was able to communicate, weird thing was it communicated with the key off. If I turned the key on it wouldn’t communicate.
Also did lock out reset and then the van started but only to stall after about 15-20 secs.
Does your scanner to CAN checks? Where it does each models communication check with the ECM to see between which can line and module there is the communication issue?
I think I was in something last night that gave me like 50 different test. Are they numbered like 1-50 something some with letters like 2b etc
Also can showed up under abs. For speed sensor. Could that be a problem
Also no communication to the tcm as of last nights checking.

Here, go to page 16. Menu looks like this.

No it seems I don’t have can, only get engine, trans, airbag, abs, bcm, ipdm. The can code does come up in ipdm codes scan not sure if that helps. Still no communication with tcm. And codes either don’t clear out of engine or come right back. Still no keyless working nor sunroof, front wipers, and radio display. Also key light staying on with nats codes, could the immobilizer be bad. Because it will start then shut down in 15-20secs.
Yea, you definAtely have either a bad control unit or a damaged CAN line. Really bizarre how this all started from a thermostat housing replacement.
It may be worth it to have someone with CAN check capabity to solo out the module and line so you can rule it the line then you know is it’s the module.
Yeah is very crazy how it started, should I try to have the key reprogrammed or is that a waste with the u1000 code. Also if I got a used bcm does that need programming by the dealer
Do you have a diagram of the can line
If you replace the BCM the key will have to be programmed by dealer or locksmith
Do you have a diagram showing where can line runs in the van.