Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driver side door handle and key receiver very loose. No

Driver side door handle...

Driver side door handle and key receiver very loose

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No always use electric remote. The handle worked loose a few months back and I looked it up on line, took it apart and put a pin in the handle to fix it. Now the part that receives the key is about to fall out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 versa hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried tightening up the hex head bolt accessible thorough the side hole covered by the sticker. It seems stripped and won't tighten.

9/22/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you mean the door lock key cover or lock cylinder is loose on the drivers door?

Lock cylinder is loose
Both actually

1 min

don't want to call

Sorry, that is automated..

Got the door panel off and am looking at the insides now

There is only 2 things this could be. If you tried to tighten the hex to tighten the lock cylinder, and it won't tighten, either the lock cylinder threads are stripped or the bolt/bracket is bad.

This kind of shows you how it's secured

So at this point I would remove the bracket assembly and check it off the car to find out which is causing your issue.

I've tried to tighten the hex bolt but it seems to be stripped. Is there anything else that holds it in place?
Got the lock cylinder out and it is stripped. Any advice?

You will need a new lock cylinder..

What I would do since you have it out, is get a new one and take it to a lock smith to get coded, so you can then install the new one..

order it online, get from locksmith, or get from a dealer?

The part is a dealer item..

get it coded at a locksmith, then go to the dealer with the code and order the part? right?
Just checked you previous response. I'll order the lock cylinder first, get it, and then take it to the locksmith, right?

No, I would go to the dealer, get the part, then take it to a locksmith to have it coded. Once coded, then install it.

When you order it, it doesn't come coded, so the dealer would want to send it out to get coded. It's cheaper for you to just do it.

got it. Just ordered it from the local dealer. should be here by Mon. or Tues.

Cool..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I

get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Your rate great! Five stars for you. Have a great day!