Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 350z does not continue to make power past 4,00 rpm.

Customer Question
2006 350z does not...

2006 350z does not continue to make power past 4,00 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

4000 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fixing myself

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/22/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question. Does it start to bog badly and prevent you from reving any higher?Or just an obvious loss of power?Do you have a scanner that reads live data?
No, it doesn't bog, it just doesn't have any pull at that point, almost like the engine is at redline. I do not have a scanner.
Thanks, ***** ***** of power at high RPMS is usually related to an issue in the fuel trims and ignition timing.
Do you have any fault codes or any recent repairs or modifications?
I do not have any fault codes. I did have a new exhaust put on the car but the issue was there before it was installed. I have only owned the car a couple weeks so I really don't have any maintenance history. The car does appear to be completely stock though.
Being that it's an 06, is it a manual transmission? Does it burn any oil?
It's a manual. Doesn't burn oil excessively. Does burn some but have heard that is the norm.

Thanks, ***** ***** do burn some oil, but if it's not excessive then at least we don't have to worry about the ring issues some of these engines had so that's good.

With now power at high RPMS do you ever notice catalytic converters getting abnormally hot or anything like that?

It's alot harder to try and pinpoint what's happening if you cannot see live data including fuel trim data.

I think buying a scanner is my next move, any suggestions on a model that supports live data. There are so many, some that work with the cell phone, some not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

my advice would be anything that does both live data and graphing and can read ALL modules.

there are quite a few out there, I actually keep an Autel brand one in my console for when I am not working if anyone needs my help and it has significant capability for a handheld. I think I paid like $380 for it.

Believe it or not it was the air cleaner. The car has a K&N filter, it was really dirty when I got the car, I cleaned it and put the K&N oil on it. I just took a spin with the filter out and it runs like a champ..
Dang that thing must have been filthy lol. I have seen mice nests in filter box cause it, but they usually start the question with (the car sat in garage for 2 weeks while on vacation.......)So glad it was an easy fix!
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago

Did you need anything else? still showing this question open?

if not just leave a rating to close it is all. thanks.