Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cluster gauges are turning off then on while driving ever so…

Customer Question
Cluster gauges are turning...

Cluster gauges are turning off then on while driving ever so often. When I noticed this 20-30 miles down the road the truck throttle started to cut off then on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes. Battery was charged and alternator seems to be good. Got them both checked today twice.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2005 Frontier XE 2.5L 4 cl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to if I can. Checked fuses and wires. Nothing visible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No..that;s about it. Just seeing if I can get some direction.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, does it seem like the gauge cluster is flickering? or is it more like the engine is cutting off and causing the gauges to cut out?

The cluster turns off for 2 seconds then resumes to normal while driving. It does it every 2-3 minutes. No flickering. That's all the gauges at the same time. The engine seemed to lose throttle for about 10 seconds then kit back in. This happened only one trip every 1-2 minutes. I parked it for about two hours. Drove it again. The engine issue stopped but not the cluster part.

Well with the cluster cutting out like that the first place to start checking is the fuses to the cluster being secure and the fuse box connection itself. Sometimes the wires or connector out of it comes loose and you can press it in. It's fairly obvious by shaking the harness and the symptoms returning.

Check that out with key to ON and let me know if it makes a difference.