Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan Expert, Rebuilding the transfer case on my 04 Nissan…

Customer Question
Hi Nissan Expert, Rebuilding the transfer...
Hi Nissan Expert,
Rebuilding the transfer case on my 04 Nissan Murano. Need a ring and pinion gear set, looks like part no. 381004N280 is in short supply, like to know if part no. 381004N28A would make a good substitute? Thanks Mark
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/21/2017
Nissan Mechanic: internal88, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

Yes, that is correct this is alternate number 381004N28A.

I have confirm it with Nissan.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

Are these transfer cases all interchangeable, 2003-2018? The only difference I can see is in the flange with through bolt on earlier models and threaded on later. Would the propeller shaft from early models bolt up to late model TC? Just weighing out my options, rebuild or replace. Thanks, Mark
I will check later. Iam on the road now.

I have checked it out. Late model Murano won't work the carrier is bigger.

You will have to find a used or rebuilt unit that fits 03-07 Murano.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

OK, just what to double check that part no.33100-CN30A works on the 03-04 model, despite Nissan showing its only for 05-07? Thanks, Mark

Okay, I just confirmed it with Nissan the 2003-2004 transfer case is different than the 05-09 transfer case. They are not interchangeable.

33100CN30A - Only this one will works for your vehicle.

Please don't forget to rate me, thank you.

The only part I can see is different from the 03 to the 07 is the pinion flange, part #382108H500 early model and #38210CN200 later, what makes these different? Thanks, Mark
Nissan Mechanic: internal88, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago

Hey Mark,

The new flange is new and improved designed. The new flange has an interlocking seals built into the back side of it. The flange and the seal together to form a dust tight seal between the two.