Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2016 Nissan Sentra with 30,300 miles with automatic…

I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Nissan Sentra with 30,300 miles with automatic transmission. When I accelerate on the hghway, it won't "shift" out of first gear and will not increase speed over 40 miles per hour

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

30,000 miles and it is the original transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have taken it in to the dealer 2 times and, of course, they can't get the problem to repeat iself so they say there is nothing wrong. It happened again this morning though

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - that is it. Thanks. I do have special rims on the car - and the dealer representative said that could cause it not to "shift" when accelerating, but it has happened on the tires that came with the car as well, so I don't think the tires with the special rims is an issue.

9/21/2017
internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

No, it can't be the tires or the wheels.

Is the check engine light ON?

It has come on before, but did not this morning

When the light was ON, did you retrieve the trouble code?

No - I forgot to get the trouble code
FYI - when I accelerate, the RPM's speed up, but the forward speed of the car remains at about 40 mph.
It makes a noise like I need to shift gears - like if I was driving in low gear

How many miles does your car have?

I see it you have 30k miles. Have you done any transmission fluid change?

once at the dealership
I will need to confirm that - now that I think about it.
I don't believe I have done that.

Yes, it is best you could get me the code.
Your vehicles uses a CVT type transmission it does not shift like the older vehicle.

It is belt driven type transmission.

Going back to your concern - You said your can't go over 40 MPH?

I found a website for California owners that reference a lot of problems with the CVT on 2012-1016 model year Nissans. Two problems on the list describe what happens to me - (1) Drop-out of power when pressing gas pedal downshift and (2) Transmission shuddering
Correct - it would not accelerate over 40 mph, but the RPM's were revving up when I acceerated

I am aware of the CVT problems on these Sentra. The problem is the CVT valve body inside the transmission. You will need to replace this valve body to fix.

Do I tell the service manager that exactly - replace the valve body?
Wouldn't you expect the service manager at a Nissan dealership to be aware of these problems with the 2016 Nissan CVT?
Do you know if there are any Nissan service advisories issued on this problem that I could reference

Tell them about the service bulletin reference NTB15-037B.

It is issued by Nissan.

The dealer would have to confirm the problem first before doing any repair.

If he tests drives the car - like he did before - and it doesn't do it at that time - any thing else I can say to convince them there is a problem? That is what happened last time - I took it in but they couldn't get the same thing to happen.
I looked up NTB15 - it references model years 2012-2015.
Do you think it applies to model year 2016 as well?

Yes, because it used the same transmission.

Next time when the check engine light is ON, you have record the code. Because the tech won't diagnose further if the vehicle check engine light is not light up.

You have been a great help.
Thanks!
That is all I have for now
Do you know - is there a repair they can do, or is it a transmisson replacement?

Last resort would be the transmission replacement.

But you could start with CVT fluid change. These fluid should last for a long time ( years) but it won't hurt to change it out. Maybe it will fix the problem.

I believe the problem is the transmission valve body that I mentioned before. They won't replace this unit unless their tech confirm the diagnose.

All the repair that I have mentioned the dealer could do it.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
I will rate you a SUPER POSITIVE!
You are great.
That's all for today