Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I am following your troubleshooting. I have had a

Hello. I am following your troubleshooting. I have had a intermittent misfire code for several weeks. Sometimes it runs great, sometimes the CEL flashes and it runs like crap. Today, the vehicle shut down in motion and will not start. We have a very prevalent electrical smell in the cabin. I have Spark and Air, and fuel to the fuel rail, but no fuel through the injectors. If I spray starter fluid into the intake, it will fire, but won't run. I did the check from the ECCS connector to ground. Pin 1 has power, but pin 5 does not. All fuses are good.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: Yes. As I said, it has been on. I have changed plugs, wires cap and rotor. I did use recommended double platinum plugs I found the distributor shaft bearings were eating themselves. I replaced the distributor, but did not fix it. Now, it won't start al all
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 98 Pathfinder
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed plugs, wires cap and rotor. I did use recommended double platinum plugs I found the distributor shaft bearings were eating themselves. I replaced the distributor. I have checked power at pin 1 and 5 of ECCS module
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have Misfire Codes? What codes do you have and also let me know what brand spark plugs you have?

When it comes to misfire issues, there is a number of things it could be, so I will need to ask some questions about the vehicle to help you isolate the issue.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ngk double platinum plugs. The only code thrown is p0300. None other

Ok.. and you replaced the distributor.. correct? Did you get the part at your local auto parts store or the dealer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
AutoZone.

That is one of the problems. When it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work right. The distributor is one of the most common things to cause misfire codes. Since the Distributor is after market, and since they never work right, I would start there for your issue.

Don't worry about the Phone call message. That is Automated. Unless you want to speak with me. That is up to you..

These distributors work off a optical sensor and pickup wheel type of Cam Sensor. When the optical sensor doesn't work right it can cause a false pulse which the computer would mistaken and causes the misfire. Since the distributor is after market, those optical sensors never operate properly for the computer to operate properly, so that is why you get misfire codes or ignition primary codes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what explains the smell, no start, and no power at pin 5 of the ECCS connector. Could I have a friend ecm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no fuel from the injectors? I get fuel to the rail.

Did you check all fuses with a test light?

Which connector is that your talking about? Where is it located?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Under hood in same box as fuel pump relay.

Hold on, let me check..

no power at pin 5 at the ECCS relay? That is what your saying?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was following this thread from your site ... https://www.justanswer.com/nissan/2w8pt-1998-pathfinder-no-injector-pulse.html
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct. The previous thread states with key off, I should get battery voltage at pin 1 and 5. I get it at 1 and 7. Fuel pump works, but no fuel through injectors.

If you turn the key to the ON position, is the Security light on Solid?

Pin 5 gets power from Fuse 63. Did you check all fuses under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know for sure. I know it flashes with key off, but didn't notice it on with key on. I'll check when I get home in an hour or so. What does it mean if it is on solid?

That would mean there is a key programming issue.

You said you will be home in a hour? Do you want to continue then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure. Thanks. I'll ask this question. The vehicle cranks over and will "start" if I spray starter fluid in the intake. Because of the smell in the cabin, have I possibly fried my ecm?

Lets just do some more checks when you are home and able to check. Cause if you have no power at pin 5, this could be a simple fix

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Man, that would be excellent! I'll text when I'm home. Thanks so much for your time.

You got it..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jay. I'm home. With the key on, the security light is off

Check fuses with a test light under the hood. Fuse 63 in the fuse box by the battery is the main one you need to check. That powers pin 5 on that ECCS relay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. I don't have fuse position numbers. I have the diagram on the cover. What is the name?

That is the fuse location..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll be damn. I was sure I checked that fuse. That sucker is blown. Replacing it now. Standby

k

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I now have power at 5. And it started!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No electric smell in the cabin.

Cool deal!! Glad we got you going!!

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will definitely rate you a 5! So now to my misfire. So you suggest that I replace the distributor with a Nissan part?

Yes..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do. I'll get it done tomorrow and shoot you a text if I need assistance. Thanks again!

Your welcome.. Glad I can help!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am curious. Seeing as I had the electric smell when the car died, and now have found the blown fuse, I am guessing they are related. What components that would smell up the cabin could cause the fuse to blow?

Oh god... Asking what can cause a electrical smell, is like asking to find a needle in a haystack.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jay. Hopefully I have another question left. I am setting the ignition timing and have seen some reports that you have to go through a process to get the ecm in diagnotsic mode to be able to properly set the timing. Can you confirm and elaborate?

I am limited to One topic per question. But if you are setting the timing, you need a Timing light to set the timing 15 degree's above TDC

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. That is how I get credit for my work. You can Rate me by clicking the Stars at the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understand. This is. The same issue, but I guess it's a diff question. Thanks anyway.