Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 frontier crew cab v-6 automatic. This transmission is a…

2000 frontier crew cab...

2000 frontier crew cab v-6 automatic. This transmission is a piece of crap, it started not wanting to shift from first to second, sometimes at any given stoplight, or making a turn and hit a bump, or leaving a parking lot that jars it a little bit. It will go a couple days and not do it, then today it did it at every damn stop or bump. I checked the fluid level because its all I can do and its fine. WTH?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it? What confuses you?

Transmission fluid, its red, why wont it shift to second sometimes? The only way I can make it shift is to turn the key off and back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to but like I said I checked the fluid level, I don't know what else to check. That's why I'm here

9/19/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Transmission issues are not the easiest to check. So for your issue the Valve Body would need to be removed and gears Air Checked to see if they can hold pressure. If they hold pressure, then the issue is with in the valve body. If they can not hold pressure, then the transmission has a internal issue and would need to be removed and opened to determine why it can't hold pressure.

At the same time you want to of course go through the valve body and clean it all up. You could have build up causing valves to stick.

How many miles do you have on the truck?

162,000
do you think a service fluid change, filter etc. maybe a first step?

How long have you owned the truck? Have you ever serviced the Transmission before ?

no I just purchased it in November from the mazda dealership here. It did this not long after I purchased it but it has gotten to the point I have to do something about it.
I thought it might be the fluid level, I checked it idling in park and it was fine. Its odd that whatever it is resets when I shut the key off and that's the only remedy.

You checked the Fluid level with the truck warmed up running in Park?

after I been driving it around with it doing this all morning

This transmissions are actually really good transmission. Not like the Junk they make today. But the key thing is Servicing. If they have never been serviced, If you service the transmission to late it can cause more harm than good.

So if you wanted to try to service it, Do a Drain and Refill. Do not change the filter. It's not meant to be changed. But be prepared as it may be worse after you do it. But that would also point to more internal issues. But if it's simply build up in the valve body, the service would help it. So it's certainly something I would do, but be ready for the worst and hope for the best if you know what I mean..

I should have purchased a warranty with it but I never thought Id need it. You don't think it might be an electrical or computer issue?

If it was a electrical issue, you normally would have a Service Engine Soon light on.

If you don't have any warning lights, that is normally a indication it's a mechanical issue.

the service engine light is on

oh.. Do you happen to know what codes you have? If you don't and you don't live in California Auto Zone does free scans

no Ive never taken it anywhere, I don't know what the codes are, I assumed that was for the engine. It was on when I purchased it.

What state do you live in?

Texas. Ive been to auto zone for codes but not in this truck

I can keep this question open if you like so you can run to Auto Zone and scan the truck and return back with the codes?

I'm not in a position where I can go at the moment but that will be the starting point first chance I get. This is my work truck, I clean pools working for myself. I hope it wont be expensive whatever it turns out to be. Next if that doesn't tell me anything I will change the fluid. Then , who knows. Thanks for your assistance, I was hoping for a " yeah I know what it is, its that thing with the wire on it" or something like that. Should have known that nothing is ever that simple...

Well I would love to be able to say that. But I am afraid your issue doesn't sound like one of them. But if you do have codes that are trans related, it could be shift solenoids.

That sounds very plausible, is that a difficult job to do if that's the case?

The valve body is removed to replace the solenoids. So it's not exactly supper easy

are there springs and balls and stuff in the valve body that will go everywhere if I drop it?
I mean pull it

there is a couple springs.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
ok I will see first if there are codes and take it from there, may have the shop do it so I don't screw it up. Thanks for your help.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician