Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My nissan has battery lite and brake lite on, i already

Customer Question
My nissan has battery...

My nissan has battery lite and brake lite on, i already replaced alternator, but as i was driving it wouldnt accelerate so i pulled over and put in nuetral and back to drive and lites went off, seemed odd. Now lites re out and cant get it to do it again. Maybe connection problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is good, Would that cause decel issue? and battery lite?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

06 nissan altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tested alternator and it was bad, replaced it. Now a week later same issue. Also have new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/19/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you replace the Alternator with one from your local auto parts store? Do you have a Volt Meter?

Napa alternator, Checked with voltmeter and it is charging right now, battery lite and brake lite on this morning, but went off while i was driving after it wouldnt accelerate, I pulled off road and put in nuetral and fixed itself.

So you have a volt meter?

If you start the car and connect it to the battery while the car is running with AC off and lights off, what is it reading as far as voltage?

With lights and ac on it is reading 12.4, with all of it off it is reading 13.7
I unplugged alt and plugged back up and now it is reading 13.4 with ac and lights on. So its working now.

Those are to low.. With no loads.. At idle you should see 14.3 volts. When you turn on the AC, lights and rear defroster it should not drop lower than 13.8 volts..

So that alternator is no good. Which is fairly common of after market alternators. That is why I suggest you get them from the dealer. After Market alternators never work right. If you do get one that works, the average life span is year or less for a after market alternator.

So if you get one from the dealer, that will resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician