Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have the exact same issue as this 2006 maxima with my

Hi I have the exact same issue as this 2006 maxima with my break lights staying on but swapping or disconnecting the ipdm still keeps the brake lights on, it only shuts of with fuse #19 pulled, any other ideas, thanks
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: No the rear tail light brake lights are on not the guage light
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Unplugged all fuses including the ipdm and fuse box near battery, bcm and box next to it. They only turn off when pulling fuse 10a bat electronic parts
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The brake switch on the pedal works

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the brake lights are staying on, that is most likely a Brake switch down by the brake pedal inside the car. That switch is like 30 bucks.

Keep in mind, you have two switches down at the brake pedal. One is the Cruise Control Cancel switch, the other is the Brake light switch. So if the brake lights are staying on, Unplug 1 switch and see if the lights go out. If they don't, then unplug the other. If they go out, then that is the Brake switch and that is what will need to be replaced..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6MdAVgr-y8

That is how it's secured so you can remove it and replace it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Switch is good, it only goes out when pulling the bat 10a electronic parts fuse. I have disconnected the ipdm, fuse box near battery the BCM and the box next to it and the still stay on

It has to be the switch.. That is the only thing.. Try unplugging both switches at the brake pedal and see if the brake lights go out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I think i disconnected both switches and they stayed on, if they still stay on what do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With fuse #19 removed they function perfectly

Hang on, let me pull up the wiring diagram..

Also.. You know it's the brake lights cause the 3rd brake light comes on also right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3rd brake light comes on, even with fuse 19 in, if I hit the brakes it gets a tiny bit brighter

Oh.. Did you check to see if the right bulbs are install?

Did you install LED's? Anything after market on the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's only the 3 brake lights that I have and issue with

I have seen where if you have the wrong bulbs installed, it feeds back through the electrical system. That is why I am asking. Fuse 19 if for the Directional. So something in backfeeding cause they are two totally different circuits...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I disconnected the center brake light and replaced both bulbs with 3157 or whatever was called for and same issue and also disconnected each one with no change, no led or mods

3057's is what the Tail light/Brake light bulbs should be. The 3rd brake light is 194's

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a lady who was describing the exact same issue I had on here a little while back. I will check the bulb numbers when I get home but I replaced them with whatever the book called for
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But why would they work perfectly with fuse 19 out, it's the middle fuse next to the steering wheel

another thing you can do is disconnect one tail lamp at a time.. The issue could be with in that tail lamp sub harness.

As I said, fuse 19 is for the directionals. Which shares those bulb sockets.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I disconnected one at a time with no change

What about both unplugged and monitoring the 3rd brake light to see if that responds properly from the brake switch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to do that when I get home, can I just reply again right here?

Sure.. But I will be going to bed shortly, So if you reply, I will reply as soon as I can tomorrow.. OK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks

Your welcome...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked the the tail lights one was a 3157 the other a 3057. I put 2 new 3057 in each socket.. no change... hooked up center brake light... no change.... brake switch and cruise control switch disconnected... no change.... they work perfectly with that electronic parts fuse disconnected

Did you unplug each tail light and see if the 3rd brake light worked properly? Anything after market in the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's that white box behind the radio, I blew off some kind of dust and I tapped it lightly and everything seems to be ok,

Sorry? I don't understand.. What did you do?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's a white box on top of the radio I think it's called the AC amplifier that had some dust on it and I tapped it while cleaning off some dust and now the brake lights work fine, it flickered the brake lights and then after I tapped it turned off the brake lights but I have half the car apart so I will check again tomorrow when I put it back together

Really, was there anything in there? Normally change can fall in to that white box?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure I just wiped off all the dust and tapped it there might be a loose connection somewhere I'll have to check it out later but the brakes are working fine after I cleaned and tapped it

Take it out and shake it.. If there is change in it, can back feeds the cluster and can cause all sorts of whacky electrical issues.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
There was a dime inside its working great now, thanks

Perfect.. Thanks for the update and glad you resolved your issue.