Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It runs fine for a while, then won't accelerate and revs…

It runs fine for...

It runs fine for a while, then won't accelerate and revs fast on start up. Changing gears helps a little, but it is an intermittent problem. I took it to a mechanic who cleared all the error lights, and it still does it. He thought it might be a bad battery. The car is a 2008 Nissan Altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I didn't test it, but I have changed hundreds of batteries in my time. I realize cars are far more electronic now than in my day when the battery was primarily for starting and lights. It didn't seem logical that a bad battery would cause problems with engine RPM, but for all I know my smart phone may need replacing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 Altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to a mechanic

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light when the car is running?

NO

Was any work done on the car before this started? What work has been done so far??

How many miles on the car? When it won't accelerate, does the engine rev but not move?

No service done recently. The car has 148,000 miles on it.
No, it only revs when I first start it.
when I push down on the accelerator it just doesn't do anything

When you say it doesn't do anything, do you mean there is no response from the engine?

No response from the engine

It happens out of the blue correct? I have a feeling I may know what it could be..

That is correct. If it sits for while, it will act normal, then start acting up again.

Ok.. Let me try to explain my thoughts to you.. Bear with me.. Not a fast typer...

With no codes, what I am thinking you are experiencing is a feature of the car called Brake Override. What this does is it kills all throttle response if it see a throttle signal and a Brake signal. This is designed so you can't be a two foot driver. Not saying you are, but something you may want to pay attention to if you think you could be. Other wise, I have seen where brake switches go and cause the Brake lights to come on intermittently where if the computer of course see's the brake lights, it thinks your on the brake so if you step on the gas, it activates brake override. This will not turn on a Service Engine Soon light since it's feature of the car. So you won't have any codes and it can act up exactly as you have described your issue. So I would look into that for your issue. Spending 30 bucks on a brake switch is something I would say you could do to see if it resolves your issue.

Is the part called a "Break Switch"

Yes, it's called a Brake Switch

I will give that a shot. Is it easy to replace yourself, or do I need a $750 tool to do it with, or pay $250 for a mechanic to do it?

You need no tools.. It twist locks in place. So you only need to make sure that when you install it, that it's adjusted properly. You want to make sure that you can tap the brake pedal to make the lights come on..

How does one adjust it?
This is for a Sentra. Are they the same?

yes. Same way to install and remove..

Thanks, ***** ***** all I need for now.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. That is how I get credit for my work. You can Rate me by clicking the Stars at the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician