Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I'm looking to purchase a used 2001 Pathfinder. The ABS

Customer Question
I'm looking to purchase a...
I'm looking to purchase a used 2001 Pathfinder. The ABS light is on and I'm curious what the problem could be.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just the ABS light
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't own it yet. Looking to buy it in the next day or two.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Currently it is stuck in 4WD seller says it's a transfer case and it's an easy fix. Is it?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/18/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
If it's stuck in 4WD it could be the transfer switch or something with the transfer case.
There is nothing "easy" about replacing a transfer case.
If I don't do the transfer case repair and leave it in 4WD will that cause problems or be dangerous?What about the ABS light. I know with previous cars that ABS isn't necessary. Brakes are working well and making no noises. I plan to use this car for highway driving to and from work. Safety on both issues is a big concern.

Yes, the gas mileage will be VERY bad and the transfer case will eventually seize up.

you need the seller to elaborate if he means its stuck in 4wd or will not shift into 4wd.

if you need anything else let me know please.

If not please be sure to leave a kind rating. thanks

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician