Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Turns over will not start no spark, no problem, 2002

Customer Question
Turns over will not...

Turns over will not start no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2002 frontier crew 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes put a obd2 no codes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you remove the distributor cap, and then turn the engine over, does the distributor rotor spin?

Do you have codes?

no codes only atf temp light is on

Is that light on when the truck is running?

it came on the first time and the engine stopped. i sat for 30 min the light went out and it started and i drove hom 4 houses away the light came on and engine quit turns over but has no fire. gas is good

This is one of two things. I am trying to determine which it could be. Did you remove the distributor cap to see if the rotor turns when the engine is turning over?

no but i will

Ok.. I will be off line in about 20 mins and be back online around 7 pm EST. So we can continue then. Ok?

to late for me tomorrow work

Ok.. Talk to you tomorrow then..

How are we making out?? Been waiting for ya..

Why did I spend $20 to be asked if my light was on while the truck was running when it won't start expert?

Cause that could indicate that there is codes store which could point to as to why the truck is no longer running?

the truck will not start or run

I also asked if the distributor rotor spins when the engine is turned over ( with the distributor cap off ) this could help determine why you have no spark.

I told you the ATF temperature light was on it came on when it quit and is still on
does the Atf TEMP light have a lockout on it

That is a Transmission Temperature light.. That won't keep the truck from starting. A loose distributor rotor could, a bad distributor could.. I would like to see if you can work with me to help you isolate what your issue is..

Could that cause the ATF temp light to come on and quit?
I will go look

No.. It will not.. That could be a totally different issue if that light was on when the truck was last running.

You are right I am wrong the rotor does not move ProbleM?
dropped the screw too

Ok. So we are on to something.. Is the screw in the rotor?

the one i dropped no side of engine
ps it is a 01 engine

If there is no screw in the distributor rotor, We need to get one of course.. Sometimes you can get a new bolt with a new rotor.

The 01 engine is the same as the 2000. So that doesn't mean anything. We need a bolt for the distributor rotor, so we can secure the rotor and see if the truck starts..

Later have to pick my kid from school i am in hawaii

Ok.. Let me know how you make out after you get a Distributor rotor bolt in... Ok?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician