Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 350z changed motor and now it cranks idles but…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 350z changed motor and now it cranks idles but has poor acceleration no power jumps in and out of gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant never picks up fully

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

No im not and it has no codes so we stuck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/18/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Matt, Engineer