Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Won't start undetected key fab. It's flashing the red key

Won't start undetected key fab. It's flashing the red key light on display and interior lights are flashing too. Brake is stiff so is steering wheel
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Happened one before but it started right up at the dealership after I paid for a tow. They said nothing was wrong but it cold be not enough charge to the battery. I looked at it and there's alot of corrosion on the battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2014 Nissa Maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried giving it a jump. Left it charging for 20 mins lights came on but key red light is still flashing can't push the start button either
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ticking noises like Morse code are flashing with the red key light and interior lights
Hey there, thanks for the question.Are you near the car where you could do a couple things for me to try and get it started please? Let me k ow when is a good time for you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'm near the car now
Excellent, ok I need to know if the headlights will come on?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they won't come on
Ok, this tells me the battery is dead then.
The headlights do not require the ignition to be on to operate.
Once you replace the battery you should be good to go.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I gave the car a jump I left it connected for 20 minutes in the interior lights came on and as soon as I try to start it again it went off there was a lot of battery acid corrosion which I try to knock off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it possible that I need a whole new battery because I did try to jump it for a very long time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I was trying to jump it it was making a lot of ticking noises sounding like Morse code
Yea, if the battery is completely dead a jump will not work sometimes. One thing is obvious the battery is bad.Either get a can of battery terminal cleaner from the store when you purchase a new battery or use a solution of baking soda and water paste to clean the terminal.
Yea, the ticking noises is common when you have enough voltage to turn electronics on inside the car, but there is not any cranking amperage to turn the starter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you. Appreciate the help
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now to find someone to put a battery in without getting a tow. Sucks being a girl. I can buy but I'm not sure about putting it in
Your welcome, I will leave this question open should you need to ask follow up when replacing the battery. Just be sure not to hook the terminals up backwards!
Also please remember to leave a kind rating.
Thanks.
Batteries are easy. They will have a plastic cap on the terminal protecting it during installation and it will be labeled positive and negative. The positive is the red side.
Just be sure to remove the little caps on their terminals before installing the cables and make sure they are tight enough you cannot wiggle them. It's also helpful to have a couple tags handy to wrap around the terminals after you remove them until the new battery is in.
Tags = rags. Sorry for the typo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok im gonna handle this like boss.....thanks again and yes I won't forget to rate and update