Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driver's window stuck 90% in up position. Was acting fickle…

Customer Question
Driver's window stuck 90%...

Driver's window stuck 90% in up position. Was acting fickle for a couple days (worked sometimes, didn't at others) and now doesn't work at all. Fuse? Switch? Motor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Now why would I do that? :-)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Nissan?

It's a 2000 Maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I did try the reset procedure...no luck

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/15/2017
Nissan Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

You don't hear the motor run at all when you operate the switch either direction?

correct

Does the remote open and lock the vehicle?

Has the window switch gotten wet? Rain?

It locks it but hasn't worked to unlock in a long time. At least
It's possible it has gotten wet.

OK that might be a clue. Do the window switches light up at night?

I currently have the switch hanging out from the door because I was trying a reset procedure...which didn't do anything. All other windows and features work, BTW.
I don't know about the lighting up. and it's not night.

OK, I think it is the switch but I am not sure so I will opt out and maybe another tech can guide you

Sorry I could not help

Are YOU going to contact some other tech or do I need to.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

How handy are you? are you able to remove the door finisher to do a basic check with a volt meter or test light?

Hi. Sorry about the delay. I'm pretty handy but am "inexperienced" with a multimeter (though I do have one). My biggest issue is know where to test. I've checked all fuses (that I knew of). I did take the entire switch out (after trying a reset procedure). One thing I though was strange is that when I took it COMPLETELY apart and looked at it from "underneath" (where you're looking at the circuit board), the slots for the other three windows each have two white plastic pegs sticking out (for the switch itself to move), but there are none for the driver's window. Is that normal? I found no broken pieces anywhere.
PS - I've since put it all back together.

Sorry for the delay myself.. I had gone to bed.

So what you want to test is if this is only the drivers side window, this is not a fuse issue. It's going to be either the master window switch or the window motor. One of the things I do as a quick thing to see if I can determine which before going nuts and testing is to have the vehicle on and hold the window switch down. While holding it done, I bang on the center of the door panel a few times. If for any reason, the window goes down when you bang on it, that is a indication of a bad window motor. You are more or less doing the old method of a bad starter by tapping on the motor to get it to operate. If that doesn't work, then the door panel is removed and you would check for power at the window motor to see if the switch is sending power to it or not.

So at the window motor you have a Green wire and a Blue wire. Those are the two wires you would need to check. This window motor works off reverse polarity. So example. If you were lowering the window down lets say. The Green wire would be power and the blue would be ground. Then when you wanted to raise it, the blue would be power and the green would be ground.

So you would need to check those two wires to help determine if the window motor is good or not. If you are not getting any power, that would be due to a bad master window switch.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with removing the entire door panel and it sounds like that is needed either way, because a) if banging makes it go down, then you have to remove the door panel to replace the motor, and b) if it doesn't go down, you have to remove the door panel to test the motor. Am I understanding that correctly? Is there not a way to test the switch? Also, what did you think about what I said about no pegs/tabs in the slot for the driver's window? Shouldn't the button actually move something to activate an action (up/down)?
One other thing: If the other windows are working fine (from the driver's side master control), is that conclusive that there is sufficient power to the entire switch and I don't need to bother checking for shorts in the wiring TO the switch?

Sorry for the delay. I am normally not online on the weekend.

If you check the Same Color wires out of the Master window switch, that will also help determine if the window motor is the issue or the switch