Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Xterra5 speed. It started missing a little and…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Xterra*****5 speed. It started missing a little and then a lot and then it would hardly run and it's making a banging noise after looking all over the internet I figured it was the dreaded distributor. I installed new plugs new wires new cap rotor with the distributor now the truck still won't run it had to timing belt replace 30,000 miles ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I just bought the truck about I just bought the truck about 3 weeks ago. I live in Ohio I drove to West Virginia and got the truck about it soon a half hour drive it rain great day said it was only on their lot used because the timing. And water pump I've been changed there's about 30000 miles on the new belt. I made another run to Pennsylvania I think I'll the way back a foreign half hour drive is when I felt the first better than it progressively got worse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

New plugs new wires and a rotor cap at first thinking maybe that would help which it did not it got worse then I read up on the distributor problems I just put a new distributor in it still not running

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Help!!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
After my run from Pennsylvania the oil change was due, so I change the oil new K&N Filter. Valvoline 5/30 synthetic. I also changed the fuel filter in the rear which it was definitely dirty thinking that the Miss was probably fuel-related. I am a union Heavy Equipment Operator by trade I pretty much know when a piece of equipment whatever it is is running correctly or not. To me it seemed fuel related, then I thought what the heck, I'll just go ahead and put plugs wires in a cap and rotor on it. I managed to get number 6 out with a little bit of trial and tribulation by the way. I made a video of actually taking the plug completely out which I've never seen on the internet yet.
9/15/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So have you verified fuel pressure on that yet ? and are you getting any codes?

I have not verified fuel pressure yet. However it seems like it's getting fuel it'll run a little bit. I had the gas cap code can't remember what code that was.
If I call you can I take the phone to the vehicle and hold it right up to the motor and you can hear the noise. Would that help your diagnosing. FaceTime live?

So I would check that and see if your getting any other codes first,

Regulated Fuel System Pressure (Without Vacuum)43.0 psi

Regulated Fuel System Pressure (With Vacuum)34.0 psi

you can just record it and send it via youtube and I can look it it there, I cant do face time

I think my fuel pressure gauge is in Florida and I'm in Ohio. I guess I should have brought it back with my sick Buell motorcycle....lol. is there a good old boy way to do it take the hose off of the fuel rail and say dang that's getting a lot of gas?

I wish, there is a fuel volume thing buts very inaccurate, you can get a fuel pressure test kit rental for free at the local auto parts store

I sold my 2002 7.3 Excursion to downsize and I bought the 5-speed Nissan for its simplicity. I am not a rocket scientist but I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

well im sure you did good on that sale, you can get 20 k for those now a days. the sad thing is you get better gas mileage from your old ford. So I am concerned with the noise though, can you do the YouTube video thing?

The truck will actually run barely but there's a lot of what I'm going to call lower end or front-end banging noises. Is it possible that the timing belt tensioner is defaulting? How exactly do I do the YouTube thing via email have you sent me emails concerning this conversation?

You can just upload the video and send the link on here, and it is possible, that is a interference engine so it couldnt be messing up too bad or you would have blown it up by now, is that the 3.3 or 3.5

It is a 3.3.
I uploaded the video to YouTube I'm not sure how to get it to you on this form and I can't send it with this email as an attachment because it's too long or something I'm not sure. However, if you go to YouTube punch in Rodger Rodger sweet and my little whatever you call that thing little round circle is got a little thing that says whatever and I've got two videos up I am not the Rodger Sweep with the blue r
Roger Sweet
Hopefully you can get a feel for the noise that the motor is making. I just don't understand how a vehicle could run so great and then just crap out it's beyond my comprehension. And why the distributor will rotate when you turn it manually at the crank with a wrench.
Did you try Roger Sweet YouTube?
U what happened to my chat session here
After I didn't talk to you anymore, for whatever reason. I went out to the bar pulled the plenum pulled my left valve cover and found that my number five or number 6 pardon me, intake valve is bent. The timing belt seem to be in good shape and reasonably tight so I'm not quite sure how this could have happened if it happened prior to whoever changed the belt before didn't catch the valve being bent and it got worse than in any rate I have a valve on order head gasket new timing belt tensioner and I'll get her back on the road. So basically you people didn't help me at all I would kind of like to have my money back.

just contact customer service

We took the left head off of the vehicle. I'm guessing since the last timing belt was done at 40000 miles. When they were putting the motor back together somebody inadvertently dropped a cap screw in the plenum. It made its way to cylinder number 6. It's been rattling around there for around 40,000 miles and finally got lodged in the intake valve opening, hence bending the valve and sticking their. That's where Mike latter was coming from the valve stuck open is why the truck wouldn't run right. Case closed new valve.
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician