Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Fuel gauge on 2006 Altima reads 1/4 to 1/2 when empty,

Customer Question
Fuel gauge on 2006...

Fuel gauge on 2006 Altima reads 1/4 to 1/2 when empty, replaced sending unit no help. want to install aftermarket programmable fuel gauge need ohm reading full and empty

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine 24 mpg 150K

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

My grandsons car, have replaced sending unit and fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No is there cost for answer

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/15/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the sending unit has been replaced, then the issue is indeed with the gauge in the cluster. That cluster would need to be replaced.

I can provide you with the steps to check the senders which has the Ohm resistances if you want to use that to see if you can get a after market gauge to work? Let me know, I have never heard of a after market gauge work on these cars that have a CPU in the cluster. So running your own gauge, could cause a Service Engine Soon light...