Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Have a 2000 Nissan Maxima. recently did a tune up. changed

Customer Question
all coil packs and all...
have a 2000 Nissan Maxima. recently did a tune up. changed all coil packs and all plugs. now have cylinder 5 misfire. all what i have done was to see which one was misfiring was removing each coil pack until the engine sound didn't change which indicates a bad coil pack (good coil pack caused a significant change in the engine idle). determined it was #5 so removed coil pack and spark plug and swapped with #3 but still #5 misfired. after further diagnosis i removed the connector from the coil and jiggled it a little and put it back the the car ran fine for a few minutes then started back misfiring on the cylinder intermittent then constant. remove the connector again and jiggled it again but still misfired but after a few minutes stopped misfiring. all of the diagnosis was done at idle please help ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/14/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Hey how are you
You either have a bad injector ,intermjnet flow when it gets hot
Or the wiring to injector or the ground being pulses from the ecu
Now we can also have a bad wiring to the coils
Can we determine that the jiggle did or did not have effect in the coils .
What Is the mileage on it now
Did u check for vacum leaks
Intake gasket leaking ,we need to check but I doubt it ,since it is intermittent ,it will be wiring ,ecm or injector
Do u have a noid tester for injector to check ground pulse to it
Please let me know
Chad farhat
When it is misfiring you notice the engine idle to be rough right? So I removed the connector from #5 the still had the rough idle. But when I removed the connector I jiggjed it and the vehicle ran smooth for about 5 min then it started back misfiring. Do you still think the injector is bad or the coil connection. Cause all this didn't start til after I did the tune up
Well if that is the case I m going to see coil connector ,inpaextvpins get a flash light shine inside the connector and make sure u did not bend any pins on that coil connector
If all good check the coil wire from coil back to pcm ,unplug pcm and check connector there also
If all this did not happen until time up logic say go back and recheck ur work ,unless wire broke inside harness while u moveing the connectors doing the repair or the pcm driver Internall is defective
I see injector issue on high mileage one usually what is the mileage on it now
Did you buy like advance auto or auto zone coils or Ebay after market ones ?
OE brand hatichi and 223000 miles on it

ok great that rule coils out then that leaves wiring and ecu

now at 223 miles, i have seen injectors fails intermittently

before buying swap injectors and see if the #5 moves

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat