Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Every once in a while my 2010 Nissan Altima just wont start…

Customer Question
Every once in a...

Every once in a while my 2010 Nissan Altima just wont start and it usually happens when the ABS and VDC lights come on for no reason while im driving. Is this a known issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS, VDC and the SLip traction

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes but nothing so far, just researching the problem and I see it has happened to other owners

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that should be it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/13/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 5 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question.When this happens does the service engine light come on temporarily with them?
No

Thanks, ***** ***** have the 2.5 or 3.5 altima engine?

most the time when we see the VDC and Slip lights in combination with hard starting or stalling it is related to a cam sensor that is going out. Those exact symptoms are considerably more common on the 3.5 engine though.

It is a 2.5s

thanks, ***** ***** time it does not start and you see those lights. Simply remove one of the coils and lay it on the metal part of the engine and crank it to watch for spark. No spark will confirm my suggestion of a bad cam sensor.

VDC and SLIP lights are essentially part of the ABS system. They wouldn't cause a hard start on their own, what happens sometimes is the cam and crank sensor pickups are inaccurate and the engine speed and wheel speed does not match so the lights come on.

It is not a hard start the engine does not crank at all. Am I paying for each answer? This is a known problem with this model, the car will not turn over and nothing happens. An hour later it starts right up and everything is great

no your not paying for "each response" this is a chat that isi included in a single question. follow up is free on the same question.

ok, thats where I was misreading your response. You said won't start not that it won't crank my apologies. A cam sensor has NOTHING to do with a no crank. Is this an intelligent key model or regular key?

Keyless, I press the brake and everything else works but it won't start. Sometimes while I'm driving the ABS VDC and Slip lights come on all at the same time. If I turn the car off when this happens it will not start back up.

So when you press the brake and hit start it does WHAT? just switches to acc or ON mode and the radio comes on?

When I hit the button the first time the press brake and push indicator comes on and the radio comes on but nothing else. When I hit it a second time all electrical comes on and the third time turns everything off
It just did it again, will all electrical was on I reset the steering wheel and the gear shifter and tried again and it started

Ok, when ever the BCM does not see a BRAKE switch signal or park/neutral signal it will not attempt to start. It just recognizes the key and goes to ACC and ON positions which give you the functions to radio etc. So IF there is NO brake light illumination when it won't start then the brake switch is bad or needs adjusted.

otherwise the park/neutral switch could be the issue although it's not near as common.

Ok I will look into it, thank you for your time

your welcome, I will leave this question open for 7 days for you in case you need more assistance later when its acting up again. Just please remember to leave a kind rating is all. thanks.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician