Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What would cause wire #117 on ecm to not put out any volts,

Customer Question
What would cause wire...

What would cause wire #117 on ecm to not put out any volts, 1996 Nissan pickup. Just replaced ecm thinking it was faulty.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Checked some fuses. What fuse or relay would cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked some fuses and changed the ecm and still 0 volts testing on #117

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I think that's about it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/11/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The Pin 117 is for the vacuum cut by pass valve. That should have battery voltage when the key is in the ON position. Did you replace the ECM with a used one?

Hi there Jay, I replaced it with a new ecm.

Did you check all fuses and do a full Ecm terminal reference check? Also I would cut the wire from the Ecm and see if that wire is shorted to ground which could damage the Ecm.

Any specific fuse or relay that powers the ecm and what ground should I check wire #117 against to see if its grounding out?

let me look at the wiring diagram.. Hang on..

Fuse 9 on the inside fuse box. Power comes from there and goes through the valve and to the Ecm.

So I would start with checking that fuse with a test light. Make sure the fuse is good and getting power. Then I would check for power at the Vacuum Cut By Pass solenoid, the Black wire with the yellow stripe and see if you have power and and just trace it back to the Ecm. The ECM is looking to see power on that wire when the key is in the ON position..

Hi there Jay, I checked all the fuses, not sure which one is #9 but they all looked good. I checked one of the three wires on the vacuum cut bypass solenoid & the white wire was testing at 4volts. Could there be a faulty main ground some were? when I changed the solenoid purge valve on the Charcoal canister I had to run an extra ground to it to make it work. They both must work off the same ground which I thought was threw the ecm.

The link I gave you shows where fuse number 9 is located. Did you check that fuse?

That fuse is good & the terminals tested at 12volts.

did you check power at the Vacuum Cut Bypass solenoid?

It tests at only 4 volts

Then I would monitor voltage coming out of the fuse box that goes to the Vacuum Cut Bypass solenoid. I have seen where fuse boxes go bad. Can you read a wiring diagram?

If you are only getting 4 volts at the solenoid, I would measure voltage out of the fuse box. If you have good voltage out of the fuse box, then you would need to do a voltage drop on that wire or run what they call a overlay ( run a new wire ) to resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay