peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

About 2 years ago my 2003 Nissan pathfinder developed a

Customer Question

About 2 years ago my 2003 Nissan pathfinder developed a ticking sound coming from what seems to be the upper drivers side valve cover area near under the plastic cover covering the fuel injection rail. Nissan dealer looked at it a replaced two fuel dampeners to fix the problem it did not fix the ticking sound. The Master nissan Mechanic listened to the motor and said thats normal. When the engine is cold and reving higher than idle you do not hear it as bad as at idle when engine is warmed up. It really sounds like it is from under that cover on the intake manifold covering on the driver side. Engine runs percent idles perfect fuel mileage normal. The motor has 70000 miles on it now,the ticking sound has always been the same since 40000 never worse always thier. When I rev the engine the ticking sound excellerate to about 2000 rpm then is less in ticking noise. I have an audio of it how do I send it to you. And the dampeners they replaced were two of them I was told and were under that intake manifold. Is their any other dampeners and or could they have been installed incorrectly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you can make a Youtube video of the sound clip then leave it open to the public and send the link to me I can then listen to this noise.

I have seen the lifter/lash adjusters fail and causes this noise as well under the intake area or valve cover area.This wont cause any running issues and generally makes this noise the loudest at low speeds and goes away the higher the speed or quiets down the higher the speed.This sounds like what you are hearing here.Generally it wont cause any engine running issues but can be an annoying noise.These should be looked into to see if this is a lifter/tappet at fault needing replaced.Usually an automotive stethescope is used to listen to the noise closely to help determine what area in the engine it is loudest then the engine is taken apart somewhat to inspect to locate the faulty lifter/tappet needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete