Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On a 2010 Murano, the a/c compressor clutch engages

Customer Question
On a 2010 Murano...

On a 2010 Murano, the a/c compressor clutch engages intermittently. It will occasionally engage when the on/off button is depressed several times, but even that fails to work sometimes. The compressor is new. I suspect the control head is the problem. The scan tool shows no engine codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replace the a/c compressor.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/9/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you verified power at the compressor connector when its in a fault condition?

I replaced the compressor recently because there was power to the clutch coil, but the clutch hub did not engage against the pulley, even when I closed the air gap manually. I am aware that the clutch air gap can increase due to wear from multiple engagements, thus preventing the electromagnetic coil from being able to grab the hub plate.
I also verified that it had a good ground. The coil was definitely bad. The new clutch has not been slipping. When the clutch does kick in, it engages solid, with no slippage. The original clutch plate and pulley showed no signs of overheating.

so when its not engaged and system on you still have power at connector

There is no power to the connector even though the scan tool shows an a/c request.

I would check the a/c relay and fuse next, it should be located in the underhood fuse panel location

Can you email a wiring diagram, circuit description and locator diagram for the vehicle?

all I have is a wiring diagram is that ok or would you like to see if someone else has more information

A wiring diagram will help, so yes, send that right away. But if you don't mind, please see if one of the other techs has a component locator diagram, circuit description and pin-out test procedure. If I have those, I can figure it out, but as it is, I'm working blind. Thank You!

ill have to opt out for other tech assistance

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you know is the system has the proper freon level? If it doesn't, it can keep the compressor from coming on.

Let me know.

Hello Jay,
Yes. I replaced the compressor and recharged the system a couple of weeks ago. The a/c compressor clutch engages intermittently, and when it does engage, the outlet air temperature is 38 deg F, and the pressures and temps are normal. I am trying to diagnose an intermittent clutch electrical issue that does not set computer codes. I have occasionally been able to get the compressor to engage if I repeatedly reset the on-off switch, but even that does not consistently work. I forgot to mention that the fan speed switch also does not respond to commands. It operates erratically during adjustment. I suspect that it may have a bad control head, but I need more information. Can you provide a wiring diagram, component locator diagram, circuit description and pin-out test procedure?
Thanks,
I can provide you all the info you need when I get home. What is your AC pressure reading
Best that I recall, with the settings on "recirculate", "low fan", @ 2000 rpm engine speed, when I am able to get the compressor to kick in, the readings were about 25-30 psi low side, 225-250 psi high side. Those are great readings that quickly produced 38 deg F outlet air temps, so the refrigeration system is doing its job. The radiator/condenser fans come on at the low fan speeds to maintain normal radiator temps, and when the compressor does decide to engage, those fans go to the hi speed.

That is the the HVAC section out of the factory service manual for you

There is another chapter from the factory service manual to help you

Hi Jay,
That is some good information. I will troubleshoot it as far as I am able to do without the special CAN analyzer they mentioned in the manual. I may have to switch to a live phone call if I get stuck. I am impressed with the help you have provided.
Thanks,

No problem John, I am normally online in the Evenings during the week if you need that call.