EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have a 2003 nissan altima 4 cylinder that runs smoothly

Customer Question

I have a 2003 nissan altima 4 cylinder that runs smoothly when you start it, but after 2 minutes ti puts out clouds of white smoke. The check engine light is not coming on. No evidence of oil mixing with the coolant and there is no evidence of a coolant leak.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just added coolant.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car has 171000 miles on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Clouds of white smoke is usually the sign of a failed head gasket. Coolant does not always mix in the oil with a failed head gasket. There also could be a chance that a fuel injector is overfueling. That can cause white smoke. You can smell the smoke and see if it smells like gas, or sweet like coolant. There are still some other checks that can be done to try and verify a failed head gasket or injector.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.