Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My trunk wont open when i push the button, no i have not,

Customer Question

my trunk wont open when i push the button
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: no i have not
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2006 nissan murano
JA: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, i bought a button for the back door and was not the fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Will the trunk open any other way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the relay cover off and pressed the contact and it opened
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i went and bought a new relay and it still wont work
i bought a new button and it still wont work
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
used relay i mean

do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Pull that relay and check for ground signal on 3 when hitting the unlock button

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so to make sure im doing this right i put the red pole of my volt meter wires on the 5 and then i touched ground and the was measuring in mv and when i hit the unlock it the numbers increased a few mv is this correct way?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or did i do it backwards

you want it to be on d.c 20 and have the positive red lead on a known good 12v source and check the 3 with the black lead when hotting the button

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's like a negative # reading

do you get 12v?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I put the red one on it

ok so your getting signal to the motor, so if you have power on 3 and 1 then you need a relay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats what I thought so
I went to salvage yard today and swapped it and still nothing

have you tried bench testing the relay that you got?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no they let me swap it so i would not have to buy it nothing happened so i gave it back because there is no refunds for electrical parts. the dealer already boned me on the $60 button that i could not refund. its like no power heading to the back button it seems like it would be the relay. if i push the contacts on the relay with the cover off bam it opens.

try bench testing the old one and see how it does

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i tried with 9volt battery and nothing. i guess i should try it with the car battery.

the power probe is something good to have as well, you can get a older one for cheap and it will do all of that for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the one at the salvage was from an 05 murano but we assumed since it looked exactly the same it would work. so i just used some alligator cables and wired it straight to the battery and it made contact.

so something is going on with the signal to the relay not enough power or no good ground, the ecm send signal to the relay which is a ground, and the top 3 1 are the power and 2 is the signal and 5 is the supply to the motor to open the door