Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Jake. I have a 2005 nissan altima 3.5S. The shifter is stuck

Customer Question

Hi Jake. I have a 2005 nissan altima 3.5S. The shifter is stuck in the manual mode, key cannot be removed from ignition, (acc as far as it will turn) I can start the car. Tried the shift lock release with break peddle depressed, shifter will only move up and down within the manual shift area. Not sure where fuse 12 and 21 are located, lots of conflicting diagrams. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like you have something broken in the shifter assembly itself, I would pull the console and inspect the assembly to look for any broken pieces or something out of alignment

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you don't think it could be fuse 12 and or 21 in the junction block, I can't find a clear and concise diagram that tells me where they are located. My research also suggested other Nissan owners with the same or similar issue found the problem to be caused with the brake switch. I'm a single mother with very little disposable income, I'm trying to avoid the dealership if possible
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

if you have brake lights the switch should be good, and if you hear some clicking going on the the center console you have power to the actuator, You can always verify power at the fuses with a voltmeter, do you have one of those?