Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2012 nissan altima wont start brake is hard to press lights

2012 nissan altima wont start brake is hard to press lights work brake lights work

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

hey how are you

make sure we have a good 12 volt battery and lets try master reset first & we go from there

any security light flashing on dash or a key symbol ?

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

'Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok to answer the dash question...... when I insert the fob the red 'car' light blinks and the 'picture' of 'key insert' on dash lights up. normally it would say something about the brake when starting correct? (that made no sense....haha)
when i press the start button most lights on dash light up quick and shut off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not car battery savvy so I don't understand the instructions you have above about disconnect cables and hold cables together ?

ok i understand :)

we need to make sure battery is good ,is it original to the car since 2012

if you are not car savvy do not do reset

is the battery can be checked by a simple voltmeter and good then most likely we have anti theft issue , key fob, key receiver module under dash , antenna ect

and you will need a nissan or equivalent scanner to retrieve fault codes and based on these fault code we can pull up troubleshoot and be accurate on it

is the battery 5 years old or been replaced ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure on battery. I believe it's been replaced
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no way of getting codes off a Nissan without a tech person doing it. I was able to w my jeep. Nissan different ?

do you use both key fobs always or just one ?

have the batteries in the key fob checked ?

now days local lock smith will do that for you ?

Problem is local parts store offer free scan but will only read engine fault codes

the anti theft module in a nissan will require a capable scanner that has the software to see and read that module to get these fault codes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Usually only one
Just bought a new one on Monday had it programmed at Nissan dealer

do not have to be dealer, a lot of local repair shop have now days capable scanner that can do scan ,around $100 charge and give u full report and fault code

and that code is entered in the online manuals and give you pin point test on what to check or really we will be guessing if it is an anti theft issue

if that is the case new fob ,then have that battery checked, you can take it out of car and take to advance or auto zone and they do a load test on it '

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok my husband will try to jump it this afternoon I sent you a picture....if I wanted to try to master reset.....where are the cables that I would disconnect? I really don't see 'cables'

they are the positive (red color) on battery is one and the black negative the other one

they are attached to you 12 volt battery terminals under the hood

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea I guess I expected them to not be bolted to the battery and hidden so I'm not comfortable doing that my husband would not be happy if I tried haha

if you have AAA they come do it for you

Read below how to get back in touch and you right we want to keep the husband .lol

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get that when insert fob also little red car flashes up top right FYI
That means Key is not recognized ,
start
Does it start and die
It will start and die or will not start if keys not recognized ,
Again check the key fob batteries
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried all 3 key fobs
If I close the door and try to start it it really tries haha slight quick flicker of light on dash then nothingThe picture is what I get when I just turn car to acc(?)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
chances of all three batteries on my fobs dead?
If you seeing flickering and 3 fobs not working , you have weak battery and the car is in safety mode ,since if the anti theft system sees low voltage it will trigger On and if battery is weak it will need to be replaced and that usually will get out of that mode when car sees correct voltage ,if battery does not fix it ,you need a scan
Let me know if you need anything else on it ,that is as much I can tell you on it with out guessing based on what you describing,for flickering ,,you have to check battery
I agree now way all 3 batteries are dead, I m think main car battery weak and that is why u have to start there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cross your fingers I just recalled something This was my dads car After he passed away I went to pick it up and his girlfriend said it wouldn't start and she had AAA jump it. This was back in May/June
so could be that this battery is just shot and being temperamental and needs to be replaced?
I will cross my fingers for you :)
Yes ,battery
It sounds you 5 year old battery and need changing ,Start with battery
Please remember to Rate me Before You Exit Post
Thank you

You are very welcome :)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was the battery. So far .... fingers crossed