Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Replaced drivers side catalyst to clear error. Drove fine

Customer Question

Replaced drivers side catalyst to clear error. Drove fine for a few miles, now engine is misfiring
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 163K yes have scan tool, showing ECU10 P0300
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Titan
JA: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, had some help changing cat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: had replaced sensor 2 prior to cat replacement
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

How old are the current plugs in the engine?

Are there times it misfires more and less?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Was running fine prior, but with the cat error, prior to changing the catalyst. Plugs aren't very old. It missfires at idle or low RPM but not continuously, and has actually stalled.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's the diag report if it helps

We need to have a power balance test ran to see which cylinders are misfiring. Once that is know we need to swap those ignition components to another cylinder to see if the miss follows. If so then you will know it is the ignition components. If the miss stays with the cylinders then we need to move the fuel injectors and do the test again. We need to figure out why it is misfiring before replacing parts. Other tests would be to clean the throttle body and air flow sensor and check the fuel pressure.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The tool i have alllows custom PID's parameters, but I don't have NIssan code to add. Any ideas?

I saw the custom PIDS from your tool. I have a generic tool I sometimes use as well that has them. If you want to avoid going to a shop that can run a power balance test you can try cleaning and monitoring the things I mentioned and replace the plugs. That is your more than likely cause in this case.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just don't have the PIDs per cylinder to check for misfire. Injectors were recently cleaned at dealer

Anything else you feel I could offer to help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The P3000 error says random, doesn't this indicate multiple cylinders?

Yes it does mean more than one cylinder is misfiring but it does not indicate which ones are misfiring.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris