Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

While driving at high speed, my 2009 Altima suddenly loses…

Customer Question
While driving at high...

While driving at high speed, my 2009 Altima suddenly loses power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Only seems to happen on trips of two or more hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Don't know what to do. Have read on internet that you could drain a quart of transmission fluid out .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This has happened twice and is very dangerous. My mother has a 2012 Altima and it has not happened to her car, but I have read on my phone that it also affects the Rogue and my sister just bought a 2017 Rogue.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you see any warning lights associated with this power loss when it occurs? Does the check engine light come on then? or have you seen it come on since this problem has happened? thank you.

No. Nothing. You are driving at high speed and press accelerator to floor and can only go about 35 miles an hour. Have found if I stop for maybe 30 minutes, it will go again, but it is very scary to have to stop in some small town with no mechanics or auto shop around, especially late in the day.
Asking for 26 dollars more is misleading. How do I even know whether you know the answer or not? You agreed to answer for $5. If you are not going to give me any answers, then just issue a refund to my VISA account.

I understand that completely, I am really surprised you get no warning lights or check engine light on after one of these episodes. Did you get the vehicle scanned by chance? with a OBD II code reader, or stop at a local auto parts store and ask them if they could scan for codes, I really would think it would store something because it's either in limp mode.

Please ignore the automated phone call request. It is more for pinpoint diagnosis and testing procedures. thank you.

I was going to say either in limp mode or something is causing the engine to misfire or lack of fuel pressure could cause the rpm's to not respond to the throttle but it would be running so lean in my opinion it would likely set a code for that.

After pulling over and restarting the vehicle does it perform like it should until another episode of this problem occurs?

The car belongs to my son. He went by the local Nissan dealer and told the representative that he had looked this up on his phone and several people have had this problem. The dealer wants to charge $125 to check the car out, but does not believe the dealer would even know what to do about the problem. It seems that Nissan just laid an egg!
if the dealer wouldn't know what causes the problem, why would you? After stopping and waiting awhile, the car drives o.k.

I think we're done here. thank you. I will opt out and let someone else assist.

well, do any of your mechanics know about this problem?
Is anybody there?
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What you say it looses power, what exactly is it doing? Also, do you get a Service Engine Soon light on? Are you driving over a mountain?