Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

My son has lost his key and was quoted $300 to get a new one

Customer Question

Hello - my son has lost his key and was quoted $300 to get a new one from the local dealership. That's on top of a towing charge AND a reprogramming charge . . is there an easier and less expensive way to replace the key ? He's a single Dad and can't afford that . .
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: unfortunately no, he was only given one key
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2007 Altima
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There's nothing wrong with it other than the key missing and can't get it started . . it's a push button start and without the key fob, he can't get it started.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am, thank you !
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

try calling a locksmith, that way at least you could save on the towing charge and they might even be cheaper for the programming and making the key.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.