Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My son has lost his key and was quoted $300 to get a new one…

Customer Question
Hello - my son...

Hello - my son has lost his key and was quoted $300 to get a new one from the local dealership. That's on top of a towing charge AND a reprogramming charge . . is there an easier and less expensive way to replace the key ? He's a single Dad and can't afford that . .

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Unfortunately no, he was only given one key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2007 Altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

There's nothing wrong with it other than the key missing and can't get it started . . it's a push button start and without the key fob, he can't get it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma'am, thank you !

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

try calling a locksmith, that way at least you could save on the towing charge and they might even be cheaper for the programming and making the key.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician