Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I put in a timing chain, in my 96 Nissan pickup ka24e. and I…

Customer Question
Hello, I put in...

Hello, I put in a timing chain, in my 96 Nissan pickup ka24e. and I don't know if my cam timing is off. or if it is my distributor. the TDC mark on my harmonic balancer is chipped off, so its really just a guess. when I out my distributor in with it in the #1 position no matter hoe I put the oil pump shaft in the distributor is slightly off the number 1 poisiton. so idk if its that I can't find TDC or my chain is off, oh and if I position it to the #4 position it will start but it runs like crap

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

130,000 miles, its responsive does what I wanted it to before I put the timing chain in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself, I've been messing around with the distributor and oil pump shaft to get my truck to start

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

I would pull it back down to double check the cam and crank timing marks. This would also give you a chance to mark TDC on your balancer with a paint pen. I'll post that info below.

This will also show you how to install the oil pump drive in the proper direction to ensure it's at #1 there.