Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Nissan 370 Z and I guess the steering wheel…

Good morning. I have...

Good morning. I have a 2009 Nissan 370 Z and I guess the steering wheel lock went bad yesterday. I had never heard of this issue and got onto the blog to try and figure something out. I've tried tapping on it for almost 4 hours and I can't get it to work. Looks like I will need to replace it.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

No issues at all. Yesterday I drove it 3 different times a d it seemed like the battery was slow to start. I came out last night and it tried to start but wouldn't turn over. All of the light and electronics worked so I know it wasn't the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 370Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried taking out the fuse but the steering lock won't budge. The blogs said to put the car in accessory mode and I was able to do that but Ibcouldnt get the car to start. I priced the part and it was $689 at a local auto parts store. I will have my mechanic fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

9/5/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How many miles do you have on your Z?

Around 80,000. I just came out and it started. I tapped the steering column actuator several times earlier today and couldn't get it to do anything so I just gave up. I ended up coming out to get something out of the car and decided to try it one last time.

When it doesn't start, is the steering wheel locked?

The steering wheel was locked when I tried to start it.

What kind of notifications are you getting when it doesn't start?

The yellow key light on the left side of the instrument panel was coming on. Last night I was getting the notification for a low battery in my key fob. The little red key in the middle of the instrument panel came on a few times also.

Have you changed the Battery in the Remote yet?

I did last night. I'm betting that I ran the battery down today trying to continuously start the car after I tapped on the actuator.

Well try this. Put a Jump on the Car. Then see if it starts every time. If it does, then you may have a weak car battery. If it still acts up, then you may have a Steering lock control actuator issue. Tapping works most of the time. But not all the time. Keep that in mind.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician