Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid was sitting idle for a few

Customer Question

Hi, my 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid was sitting idle for a few months. When I tried to run it again the car had no power at at all. I have jump started it a couple of times but the battery won't hold the charge and it doesn't work after shutting off again. What are my options?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent. every time you shut it off
JA: Are you fixing your Altima Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just jumping it and running it for about 30 minutes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Most likely the Battery is no good and would need to be changed. Since this is a Hybrid you can't just get a car battery. You have to use a Optima Battery which is a Gel type battery. Red Top. So I would start with replacing the battery for your issue.

Just starting the car and letting it idle for 30 mins, is not enough to charge the battery. The car would need to be driven for the Ecm controlled alternator to come on to work on charging the battery. Another thing you can do as well is put a battery tender on the car and let it sit to charge up the battery as well. But if it was that dead and the battery is 5 years old or older, I would recommend replacing it.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay,The battery that needs to be replaced. Is it under the hood? I read that the Altima Hybrid batteries are in the trunk/back seat?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Hybrid battery is in the trunk. As I said, if the battery needs to be replaced, you have to use a Optima Battery which is a Gel type battery. A regular car battery is not recommend