Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 pathfinder with 3.5 engine was running fine. then…

Customer Question
My 2002 pathfinder with...

My 2002 pathfinder with 3.5 engine was running fine. then after sitting for about 6 hours would crank over at normal speed but will not run. I sprayed brake cleaner in the throttle body but no change. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes to both. The fuel pump rely under the hood, drivers side does not click. the fuel pump rely on the passengers side does click

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Charged the battery fully. Played with the gear shifter while cranking the engine over. Sprayed brake cleaner directly into the throttle body. Can not hear the fuel pump running and there does not appear to be any spark.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I tried two different obd scanners and neither will communicate with the vehicle

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/3/2017
Nissan Mechanic: mauricio, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
mauricio
mauricio, Auto Mechanic

Hello My name is Mauricio

check engine light doesn't illuminate with the Key on? the security light is on while cranking?

the service engine soon light flickers rapidly then illuminates with the key on. the security light is on while cranking.
I sure could use some ideas to help me solve this problem with my 2002 pathfinder, my granddaughter needs to drive this vehicle to work.
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 10 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, Nissan expert here.If the security light remains on while cranking, then that is a key recognition issue .
To correct the issue would require that the key is programmed to the vehicle By a lock Smith. So make absolutely sure that it is the security light staying on .

If you have another set try a different key, try to disconnect the battery first for 10 minutes and try another key.

no other key we have tried two obd scanners on the vehicle but can not get either to recognize the vehicle so the key guy can make another key any suggestions
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 10 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you turn the key to the ON position, Is the Security Light on Solid?

the security light is on solid with the key turned on

That is a indication that the key is not or has lost its programming to the truck. So the key would need to be programmed for it to start the vehicle.

A mobile Locksmith can come out to your location to program keys. You don't have to tow it to the dealer if you don't want to.

When the vehicle has a programmed key, the security light would be OFF when the key is in the ON position. When ON solid, the Immobilizer is active and it kills injector pulse which keeps fuel from getting into the engine for it to start

the key guys computer will not recognize the vehicle so he can program the key

Then it may have to go to the dealer if the key guy's equipment is not able to do it

any idea why my 2002 pathfinder will not communicate with the obd scanners

If the computer is not communicating, you could have a computer issue. I would start with checking all fuses first. If you still can't communicate with the computer then the computer would need to be replaced.