Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

The cam shaft sensor is out on a1996 Pathfinder. Where is it

Customer Question
located on that car JA: Which...
The cam shaft sensor is out on a1996 Pathfinder. Where is it located on that car
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Cam shaft
JA: What year is your Pathfinder?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: P0035
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Rotor not turning on distributor
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2017
Nissan Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 3 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

If the rotor button is not turning, then you need to check the timing belt to see if it has broken.

How do you check?

You will have to take the bolts out for the timing cover so you can see the timing belt. Have some one turn the engine over and see if the timing belt turn. If the belt does not turn, then the belt has either broken or the teeth on it have stripped off.

If the cam shaft sensor is out would the rotor on distributor still turn?

Yes. But if the belt is broken, the distributor can not turn, therefor setting the code for the cam sensor. The cam sensor is mounted into the distributor.

Could it just not be the distributor alone?

The distributor is mounted into the head, and the distributor is turned by the cam. It is very unlikely that the distributor is your problem.

Where you able to check the timing belt?

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech