Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Nissan maxima. I started the car up this

morning and drove to the...
I have a 2007 Nissan maxima. I started the car up this morning and drove to the store with no problem. When I tried to start the car at the store, the ignition switch would not unlock. I did get the green low battery light but had my wife bring her key fob and got the same result. The ignition switch will not turn at all. What could be the issue?
9/2/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there thanks for the question. Since the battery light for the FOB is on you need to insert the FOB into the slot.If the ignition stays locked then it does not detect the key or the battery is completely dead. You can rule out the battery by turning on the headlights.
There is no place for the FOB to be inserted. The car battery is fine, so is the key fob battery. Any other suggestions.
The fob goes into the slot by the drivers KNEEAdditionally the antennae for it is the ring around the button, so sometimes you can place the fob on the start button as well.
I could not find a place as you mentioned to place the key fob. I place it near the button and still nothing. Lights shine brightly, door and and trunk unlock work with no problem.
The 07 if intelligent key should have the FOB slot. They got rid of it on later years, but the 07 had it.The way the intelligent key system works, is that when the when the antennae around the start button can read the key the switch is unlocked. It will operate to ACC then ON when you press it.
Now it won't attempt to start it will just cycle unless you hold the brake pedal when pushing. So if it was switch through ACC or on but not cranking g then that would be. Take switch related most likely, but if yours is not switching at all, then it's a key detection issue in most cases.
Ok, so if it is a key detection issue, what should I try. Also my model does not have the key fob slot.
With no slot you can place the fob on top of the start button or replace the fob battery for best results.In rare cases, the key programming gets lost. This is more common though when a car sits for long periods of time.
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician