Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 Nissan sentra gxe 1.8l cranks but won't start. I'm…

My 2002 Nissan sentra...

My 2002 Nissan sentra gxe 1.8l cranks but won't start. I'm getting fuel. I'm getting spark. Spark plugs were wet. Dried them out still no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Me and my brother in law who is a mechanic. Fuel pump is working. We're getting fuel to the engine. Spark plugs have spark. Cleaned throttle body. Battery is chared

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's all

8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check
for spark at the plugs with a spark tester. Check
compression too for a possible valve timing issue with a
compression gauge. You can check fuel pressure with a
gauge and all of these tools should be available to you at
your local parts store for rent or purchase. You need to
check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool. The code reader only gives the
codes and definitions, where the scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
If the timing is the issue how can the be fix

You would first need to confirm it with a compression check, then check to see if the marks ate lined up or not for the cam and crank. If they are not, then you need to replace the timing belt.

Thanks, ***** *****

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor