Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2010 altima is will not pick up speed/accelerate when going…

2010 altima is will...

2010 altima is will not pick up speed/accelerate when going uphill

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

120k miles, have not checked the fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No codes either

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Haven't tried anything yet. Happened a couple times to myself and this last time i let a friend borrow it for a trip and it happened again Going to try when he gets back

8/19/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does it happen mainly when going over mountains?

far it has been mainly over mountains. Once over it runs fine

Yeah.. That makes sense. Let me explain what is going on....

These cars have what they call adaptive learning. So when you are driving bellow before you hit the mountain it has adapted to the driving. When you start to go over the mountain, the altitude changes and so the does quality of air. So then the computer has problems adjusting and can cause what you are experiencing. But if you were to shut the car off wait 5 seconds and restart it before you go up the mountain or while going up the mountain, that would allow the car to start to re-adapt which would adjust for the altitude change. .. Understand ? ...

all of the newer cars and trucks run into this.

I understand, glad is not anything major. is that the only solution to this issue?

Yes.. I am afraid it is. Simply doing a shut down restart will allow the car to adapt to the altitude change so it doesn't act up.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!

Ok, Thank you very much Jay. Have a good rest of your weekend.

You too and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician