Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Nissan Murano, no brake lights. taillights and signals…

Good afternoon. Mechanic's Assistant:...

Good afternoon.

Mechanic's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Kevin

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2003 Nissan Murano, no brake lights. taillights and signals work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes ad fuses third brake light comes on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked at the taillight for power, no power at brake light when hitting brakes third brake does come on

8/18/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You say the 3rd brake light works correct?

Check for power at prong at the taillight harness...no power.
Does have power for taillights and signal.

are you checking for power when stepping on the brake pedal?

Tail lights and directionals are a different circuit than the brake lights. That is why they work.

checking power with brakes depress,

Most of the time if just the outer brake lights are out, it's just the bulbs. Where are you checking power? What color wire?

green wire with black stripe
checking wire that plugs at taillight

You need to check the Red wire with the Green Stripe to see if that is getting power into the tail lamp assembly. If it is getting power, then you have either a bad tail light sub harness or bad socket causing the brake lights not to work. So you want to pull the tail lamp assembly and check that color wire going to the tail lamp for power. I would unplug the tail lamp and probe the pin for power.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks for your help, was checking wrong wire.
problem solve.
Thank you very much.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician