Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6L. Starts and stalls, Good fuel

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6L...

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6L. Starts and stalls, Good fuel pressure,

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

30K. Not sure on the history

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel pressure test, Hooked to scanner and all seems fine. No DTC's

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A lot of white smoke when trying to start. It will start for 3 to 4 sec.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

White smoke can sometimes mean it's to rich when trying to start. Unplug the mass air flow sensor and then see if it will start and idle on it's own. If it does, then the maf sensor is the likely problem. You won't be able to rev the engine much with it unplugged because the computer will turn off the fuel supply at about 2700 rpms. It will also cause the check engine light to come on when it's unplugged, so don't be alarmed.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

I did remove the MAF and left unplugged when checking fuel pressure and it does the same thing. Starts and stalls.

Take the front O2 sensor out and see if it will start and run.

Does the same no change
Do you want the sensor completely out or just disconnected. ?

Completely out. If the converter is plugged this will give the exhaust and pressure a place to go so it may run. Not a lot of things out there will do this without storing a code.

Let me know.

Thanks.

No difference
Just a lot of white smoke

Really sounds like the car is loaded up with a lot of fuel. Pull a couple of plugs and see how they look.

Also, check and make sure the car is full of coolant. If it's got a leaking head gasket it could be trying to burn coolant.

This would cause smoke as well.

Smell the oil and see if it smells like gas too.

let me know.

Thanks

Back two plugs are very wet with gas. No smell of gas in oil. Coolant at proper level.

Ok

I still think it's flooded and suspect something going on with the maf sensor causing the issue.

Unplug the maf, then hold the gas to the floor and crank the engine. When it starts see if you can rev it and clear it. If not, repeat the procedure about 3-5 times and then see if it will start and continue to run with the maf unplugged.

Of course re install the plugs for this.

Still won't run. It tried one time for about 10 sec but that was it. Pulled back two plugs again and they are very wet. I will change plugs and try.

Ok, seems like a good next step, but I would maybe check engine compression as well. If the timing is off, it will have low compression on a couple cylinders. If the low ones are the wet plugs....that could be the problem. Seems VERY unlikely with only 30k on it, but stranger things have happened and since you don't really have any history, who knows how well its been maintained prior.

Compression is 145 to 152 on all.
Just waiting on spark plugs.
With intake off looking at valves they are very wet with gas.

min compression is 184 psi. So that is a little on the low side really.

That is cranking it over 4 times per cylinder.

I am sure this thing is just loaded up with gas, no doubt. When you hold the pedal to the floor it turns the fuel injectors off. After you replace the plugs you might want to unplug the injectors and crank it a bit to clear it out. Maybe even while the plugs are out.

I am showing that psi @ 200 rpms cranking speed.

When the problem occurred just pulling away from the intersection it started chugging. But kept running, pulled off the road and then it would not start again. But it ran great before that.

Could be the raw gas has washed the cylinders to drop the compression a bit.

I agree. I cranked it over while the plugs were out and injectors unplugged. When I get the plugs I will try it again just holding my foot to the floor and then trying to start normal.

Hopefully we can get lucky here! It's an odd one for sure!

Got new plugs in and shut fuel off and turned over. Supplied fuel and tried to start. Still the same. MAF still unplugged.
I have 55 to 57 psi for fuel system.

Think I was showing 51 psi on this so that's not really terrible.

Doesn't have any kind of aftermarket security system on it does it?

No security system.
Are the keys for this vehicle chipped?

Sorry to say, I am going to have to open this back up for the other experts.

Yes, the key is chipped, but normally it won't start at all.

If the security light is going out, then it's not the issue.

No security light. Only seat belt, PS light, traction control and Check engine.
I think I found the problem. The gas that is in the tank is dark orange in color. Possibly diesel fuel. Regular gas will eat the bottom of a plastic Dixie cup. This just sits there. And smells different.
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

That does sound like you found the problem. I would drain that out and try fresh gas and then recheck and see if that resolves you issue. If not, return back and I will continue to help you.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Well we have it. Got the fuel cleared out and she runs great again. Thank you both for your help. Just wish I would have noticed it earlier. I had the fuel gauge connected but never drained the system to take the gauge off. When I did that is when I noticed the color of the fuel. Oh Well what do you do. Thank you all.