Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2002/niss/4d maxima engine turns over but will not start.

2002/niss/4d maxima engine turns...
2002/niss/4d maxima engine turns over but will not start. used factory key and a key we had made.
How to disconnect security system.
Keys do not use batteries and car battery is good.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Just so I am clear, is the security light on solid when you turn the key on?

No . Blinks when key is turned to off.

Ok, sorry can't call right now.

Blinking off is normal for this. Is the light going out when the key is turned on?

can we set a time for a phone call
light goes out when key is on

If it goes out then you do not have a security problem. Those codes must be old stored codes. You will have to check for fuel and spark. A quick test for this is to spray starting fluid directly into the throttle body. Then crank the engine, if it fires for a few seconds you know you have spark and a lack of fuel. If it doesn't then you have an issue that's affecting both.

I will have to get back with you. will go get starter fluid.
I have an appointment and it could be a couple of hours. Do I just leave this site open and answer you when I get back?

You should be able to close it and have links back to here in your email. I may be off at the time but reply here and as soon as I get back I will get back to you. We have visitors from England this week so my schedule is really messed up. It's the reason I can't really call, but I promise, I will get back to you as soon as I am back online. Just post what you find here.

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
FixUrNissan
FixUrNissan, Shop Forman / Lead Tech / Parent
Phone call session started
I was wrong.I was to much in a hurry. It takes 10 seconds for the red light to come on after the key is in on position.

I see, ok, you're issue then IS the security system like you thought. This means the key needs to be reprogrammed. There isn't any bypass or way to disable it because it's a radio frequency. It either has to be towed to the dealer and have the keys reprogrammed, or you might be able to find a mobile locksmith who can come out and do this for you.

Sorry, there just isn't any better answer for this.

Thanks.
I will try this.

You're welcome, I believe it will get you back to running.

The mobile lock smith was here and said the the chips in both key were bad. machine could not ready ether one.
Is that possible.

I would say it is possible. It's not typical, but if you have tried both it could happen, especially if they are aftermarket keys.

I won't be on tomorrow as I take Sundays' off. Leave a message though and I will get back to you first thing Monday.

We will take it to dealer in a few days. Anything else I should be aware of they might say other than a new module and keys?
What is the name of the module that is in the steering column? I went blank.
Have a good Sunday

There isn't a module on the steering column on the 02, the newer ones had a steering lock control module. If they can reprogram the keys on this then it might have a computer issue. I don't think that will be the issue however.

Thanks for you help. Took it to dealer and replaced the antenna at ignition switch and made a couple of keys.

You are very welcome and very glad it worked and I was able to help solve the problem!

Thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician