Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2001 pathfinder won't start, new battery fitted. Car was

2001 pathfinder won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: new battery fitted. Car was parked for 1 month; battery replaced to rule out battery issue
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Seen by mechanic and electrician; fuel pump and filter ok, distributor o, keys ok. Somebody suggested computer needs replacement but was not convincing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car has been perfect till when I came back after vacation and won't start

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So are you having any lights coming on in the dash

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

would you care to share that information with me

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Text please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil engine check etc all lights come on. Security light blinks when engine off

Have you had the vehicle scanned for any codes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought this was a 4 star service; any response?

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Sorry for the experts response time. Please keep in mind it does take time to look up information or to type.

For your issue, Can you please tell me if you turn the key to the ON position if the Security light is ON Solid and if the Service Engine Soon light is on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
security light solid and service engine on

Thank you. That is a indication that you have a key programming issue. When the security light is solid it means that the computer can't read the chip in the key or a un-programmed key is trying to start the vehicle so it activates the Immobilizer

So you will need to have all keys programmed to the vehicle. When you have a key that is programmed, when you turn the key to the ON position, the security light will be off.

The dealer can do this, or a Mobile locksmith can program keys for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Keys and immobiliser checked and are ok; was told computer may be faulty

Are the keys you have After Market?

or are they factory keys?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Original keys
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both keys won't start car

If they are factory keys, they may not be programming them properly. But if they can't be programmed, either the Nats Antenna is bad, or the Ecm. It's one of the two if keys won't program.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What to do if ECM?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can we confirm its ecm?

If it's the Ecm, it would need to be replaced. The part is no longer available from the dealer, so you would need to buy a used one, Reman, or send yours out for repair.

A scanner would be needed along with a Immobilizer diagnostics would need to be done to verify if the Ecm is the issue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nissan Dealer service has been awful here in Saudi Arabia. So frustrating car has been superb till this happened and now nobody seems to know how to fix it; dealership changed here and new dealer said he dies not have software fir old models; only 2006 and later; ahhhhh

These older Ecm's did come with software on them. How ever, they are no longer produced. So you would have to get a used one or a Remanufacuted ( repaired ) one. Or send yours out for repair

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping for more insight than I already got here but alas

If you want I can supply you the Ecm terminal layout if you want to perform circuit tests? But as far as giving you a answer with out looking at the vehicle to verify, I can only suggest what to check for your issue. Or I can supply you the checks so it can properly be diagnosed

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please do send me the checks so that it can be properly diagnosed

Ok.. You would need to wait till I get home from work. That is in about 3 to 4 hours. Can you wait till then. I will then share as much info on this as I can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure but going to bed here as it is 10pm; will it be in an email***@******.***?

Please don't post personal information. I will share the info back on this question. So all you would need to do is log back into JustAnswer.com and go to my questions to return back to this question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok noted sorry. Safe journey

No problem. Let me get you the info when I get home.

Thanks Jay

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jay promised to send me procedure for Nissan Pathfinder 2001 ECM troubleshooting but none received. I already paid my dues yesterday; why are you asking me to pay again?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I going to get a response?

sorry, I had a personal issue that required my attention last night. Can I share that info with you tonight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please. I have been waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I rated you 5 stars!!!

Thank you for the Rating.. Will get you that information tonight when I get home from work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

Thank you for your Patience. Here is the Complete Ecm Terminal Reference check and Full Nats system information from the Factory service manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1%2001%20Path.pdf