Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Codes say crank sensor. I replaced that. no change. check…

Codes say crank sensor...

Codes say crank sensor. I replaced that. no change. check engine light on. When I finally get vehicle started, if I keep rpm up over 1500 and shift auto trans gear by gear both up and down, keeping the rpm over 1500 then it is drivable. if rpm gets a bit over 3000 rpm it acts like a rev limiter

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 1500?

Nissan armada 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed crank position sensor. no change in condition O reilly auto parts read codes and said it was the CPS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It died right after I went over a rock on a backwoods easement. I was in 4WD Low

8/16/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Also, the VDC OFF light is on and the "SLIP" light is on

A code that is set, NEVER means to replace the affected part code. You also have the wiring in the circuit, the computer, that part and possible flash updates that can ALL set that code.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor